Skincare is an absolutely important thing whether you are in your 20s or 30s or 40s or 50s. We are learning a little more about our skin and embracing it each day. We have understood the needs and requirements of our skin and have been making changes to our routine accordingly. To fulfil our requirements scientists and cosmetic companies are working constantly and coming up with great products. And subsequently, Hyaluronic Acid came to light.
Imagining acids in skincare might look wild and crazy. It only brings the thought of exfoliation or skin irritation, but hydration is certainly out of context. But in the case of hyaluronic acid, it simply means hydration. Unlike the name suggests, it isn’t actually an acid but a group of sugar molecules commonly referred to as polysaccharides. Its increasing popularity has made everyone add it to their shopping carts.
But is hyaluronic acid really important? Does your skin need it? Or is it just another hype and people are just blindly following a viral product, let’s find out.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid or hyaluronan is naturally occurring widely produced in the plasma membrane of all mammalian cells by an integral membrane enzyme known as hyaluronan synthases. It is clear and gooey textured. It is most commonly found on the surface of the skin, connective tissues and eyes. Anything naturally produced in our body is very important and has vital functionality and so does this acid. According to a study, it has a unique capacity of retaining water in our body in order to keep our cells well-nourished and lubricated.
Hyaluronic is an essential requirement and that is why it is gaining popularity in the skincare routine of so many. With growing age, the body’s natural tendencies of producing this acid decreases, hence it is required to take it in form of external sources either in a form of supplement or tropical surface lotion, cream or serum.
Why is it benefical?
1. Hydrates your skin- This one acid is your ticket to hydrated, healthy and glowy skin. The key role of it is to keep the moisture intact on your skin. It has the ability to hold one thousand times its molecular weight in water within the cells of the skin. In the case of dry skin, it is an absolute necessity. In short, if you have dry skin, hyaluronic acid should be your best friend.
2. Provides skin elasticity- It helps fight rough or wrinkly skin. It helps to give the skin more elasticity making thus making it look more radiant and youthful.
3. Anti-ageing effects- If anyone is looking to reduce the signs of ageing, trust hyaluronic acid. It is proven to work well on wrinkles which naturally happens with growing age. The natural tendencies of the body to produce hyaluronic acid decreases with age, therefore it is essential to use it externally. The acid has proved to be very beneficial in smoothening and plumping up your skin cells, thus, enhancing the contours of your face.
4. Skin cell regeneration- It promotes the regeneration of your skin cells by repairing and protecting the skin barrier and providing hydration. The hydration provided leads to healthier cells and vibrant looking skin.
5. Heals wounds- Using hyaluronic acid heals the wounds quicker. It also reduces the effect of scarring.
How To Apply?
- Firstly- Properly cleanse your face.
- Secondly- Using a moisturizing cream that is infused with hyaluronic acid or serum, is a straightforward and hassle-free method to apply hyaluronic acid on the face.
- Lastly- Gently massage it for at least 60 seconds until it absorbs completely. This allows the products to penetrate the skin better. You can use a face massaging tool for it too.
For Best Results
1. Incorporate hyaluronic acid in your AM/morning and PM/night skincare routine.
2. Always use it after you have finished cleaning or exfoliating your face. The clear skin will allow it to reach the target skin cells.
3. Use an ample amount of the product without any hesitation.
4. Do not expect immediate results. It could take a few months for long-lasting results to show up.
Best Products Which You Must Try
Hyaluronic acid is available in two forms for tropical use- a serum form and a gel-cream form. It could be used underneath the makeup to give it a natural glow. Here is a list of our favourite serum and gel-form hyaluronic acid.
A] Best in Gel-Creams
1. Neutrogena- Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Gel-Cream
If you are looking for a daily moisturizing cream with the benefits of hyaluronic acid then using Neutrogena Hydro Boost is the right choice for you. The water-based formula feels super light on the face and gives hydration all day long. It is fragrance-free which makes it suitable for sensitive skin.
2. Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid Cloud Cream
This lightweight gel cream along with hyaluronic acid from Peter Thomas Roth, also contains ceramides which are the ingredients known for hydration and skin protection to ensure more supple and smooth-looking skin. The formula is oil, alcohol and fragrance-free. Therefore, it is a perfect choice for people with sensitive or acne pro skin.
3. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Water Fresh Cream
This cream from Bobby Brown is miraculously light. Along with hyaluronic acid, it also comprises hydra-essence which helps increase skin’s moisture instantly. It is made with probiotic technology that helps protect the skin along with strengthening and repairing it.
B] Best In Serums
1. L’oreal Paris Revitalift 1.5% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Apply a few drops of L’oreal Paris Revitalift all over your face and neck is all you need to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, hydrate dry patches, and get boosted overall glow. The best-selling formula is free of fragrances, mineral oil, parabens, and synthetic dyes. It is suitable for all skin types.
2. The Ordinary- Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
The Ordinary brings one of the best hyaluronic serums. It does not just give the benefits of hyaluronic acid but also Vitamin B5 which further ensures soft, smooth and healthy skin. A few drops of it are sufficient to get the hydration you need. The formula is vegan and is one of the best we have ever tried.
3. Vichy Mineral 89 Daily Skin Booster Serum and Moisturizer
A perfect combination of thermal water, essential minerals, and hyaluronic acid make the serum from Vichy Laboratories stand out for us. It gives the bounce like a baby’s cheek and the glow we wish for. Free of parabens, fragrances, oil, alcohol, and colourants, it is a safe choice for all skin types.
Side Effects of Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is generally safe for all skin types and doesn’t typically lead to any adverse reactions when applied topically however if an issue arises, it should be stopped immediately and expert advice should be taken.
Our Final Thoughts
Hyaluronic acid is not hype. It is worth staying in your skincare routine if your skin demands it. Find the product which is best suited for you and quickly incorporate this into your daily routine to get healthy, nourished and glowing skin.