We should wash our hair every day. This is a common statement that we hear from many hairstylists. But on the practical side, how plausible is it?
If you ask me, it is not.
Washing hair, especially if they are long takes a great amount of time and it’s difficult to fit it into our daily schedule. But just a few days after the wash, our hair is in the dire need of a wash. They are super greasy, difficult to style and are not in a state to be represented. And there to rescue us, comes the infamous dry shampoos.
Long hair club or short hair club, doesn’t matter, dry shampoos are an absolute must for everyone. Without a second thought, it is something which we all need. Especially after a heavy workout session or during winters when we get super lazy at washing our hair as per our usual schedule. It can be considered as a substitute for washing your hair curbing the need of lathering your hair frequently.
But what are dry shampoos, how do they work and are they safe to use. Let’s talk everything about dry shampoos so that you can know them better.
How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
We all know the basic hair structure. Your scalp has millions of hair follicles that hold and affix your hair with the skin. Along with this, your hair follicle plays another crucial role that is to produce sebum in your hair.
Ever touched your hair and felt the greasiness.
Well, yup! That’s sebum for you!
Sebum is the oily secretion produced by the sebaceous or oil glands. It is produced to lubricate the scalp and prevent moisture loss. It softens your hair. While it is absolutely normal to have sebum on your scalp, the overproduction of it leads to oily and greasy hair.
During the workout, the sweat combined with sebum makes the situation worse.
Dry shampoos have an active ingredient in them. It can be either starch or alcohol. These active ingredients facilitate the absorption of the excessive oil and sweat from your hair and scalp. When the oil is absorbed it gives your hair a freshly washed look which we all stan!
Dry shampoos come in different fragrances to choose from to give your freshness. The fragrance also masks any offensive smell of sweat coming out from your hair. They are also available in different colour options understanding the need of people with coloured hair.
How To Use Dry Shampoo?
There is no rocket science behind using a dry shampoo however make sure the right technique is followed. Use them correctly to prevent damage to hair and scalp build-up.
1- Pick up the dry shampoo which matches your hair colour and has the fragrance you desire.
2- Hold the spray bottle of dry shampoo almost 5-6 inches away from the crown of your hair.
3- Now, spray a little amount directly onto the roots.
4- Section and divide your hair and spray all over your scalp.
5- Massage the product well into your hair using your fingers.
6- Let the product do its magic before styling them.
Tip- Never use your product on wet hair as it won’t do anything on wet hair. Also, dry shampoo doesn’t need any washing, so you do not have to wash it after its application.
Pros Of Using A Dry Shampoo
- Using dry shampoo increases the interval between two subsequent washes. This prevents excessive washing and drying out of the natural oils of the hair.
- If you colour your hair, the colour can stay longer with dry shampoo as you are minimizing the washes.
- Dry shampoos have a volumizing effect on the hair. Dreamy, right!
- They are super convenient to use.
- They save a lot of time, especially on the busy days.
- Dry shampoos save you from the heat damage of hair.
Drawbacks Of Using Dry Shampoo
- Using dry shampoos too abundantly can lead to an accumulation of residue on your scalp which can give your hair a thicker and coarser texture.
- The reside deposited on the scalp could block pores which could subsequently lead to breakouts and itching scalps.
- Excessive use of dry shampoo can make the hair weak and brittle.
- Dry shampoos can make your hair dry and dull.
- The scalp can become a breeding ground for bacteria and other infections due to the long periods of unwashed hair.
- The chemicals and fragrances present can cause inflammation and allergies.
Is Dry Shampoo Bad For Your Hair?
Dry shampoos are not a replacement for actual shampooing. They do not remove oils, dead skin, pollution and sweat from the scalp. For this, regular washing of hair is necessary.
Moderation is the key when it comes to dry shampoos. Too much dry shampoo can cause irritation and build-ups. It can cause hair damage too.
What To Look For When Buying
- Check the ingredient list carefully and make sure all the ingredients used in the formulation of the dry shampoo are safe to use.
- Make sure the dry shampoo you are purchasing matches your hair colour.
- Dry shampoos can be highly scented. If you are allergic and sensitive to fragrances you might want to avoid them however if masking dirty hair and the sweaty odour is your endgame, you have many scented options to choose from.
Best Dry Shampoos To Try
Here are some best dry shampoos you should consider trying if you haven’t tried your hands at dry shampoos yet.
Our Final Thoughts
Undoubtedly dry shampoo is a blessing and an essential product in your collection. They work effectively without a hassle. However, they are not a replacement for the actual washing of hair.
They should be only used once a week because moderation is very important with dry shampoos. Their excessive use could be damaging to hair.
But when used well with all the precautions and care in mind, dry shampoos have the tendency of reviving your dull and greasy hair.
Do give them a chance!