Undoubtedly vaginas go through a lot and even though our introverted and shy vagina doesn’t ask for much attention, we tend to keep coming up with new trends and practices for it in the name of female reproductive wellness. In this race of our vaginal wellness, a new treatment which is believed to behave its roots in history for maintaining proper vagina hygiene called vaginal steaming came to light and it escalated very quickly from here.
Hands down, the sound of V-steaming or vaginal steaming is very luxurious and elite. This trend wasn’t backed by any scientific evidence but everyone joined the bandwagon because it was heavily endorsed by the celebrities and influencers who believed and tried to sell it in the name of the ultimate guide of vaginal care.
Gwyneth Paltrow, in her newsletter, described this treatment which she received at the Tikkun Holistic Spa in Santa Monica, California as “The real golden ticket here is the Mugwort V-Steam: You sit on what is essentially a mini-throne, and a combination of infrared and mugwort steam cleanses your uterus, et al.” And from there on, this goop approved technique became an instant hit.
Many spas offered this treatment at a hefty price and soon a DIY version of it came into the market. This viral trend became insanely famous but was it actually worth it? Let’s find out.
What is vaginal steaming?
Vaginal steaming or V-steaming is a method believed to be practised in Africa Asia and Central America. In the technique, the woman squats or sits over steaming water containing essential oils or herbs such as mugwort, rosemary, wormwood, and basil.
Herb infused steaming of the vagina is believed to have many positive effects on the vagina. It not only deep cleanse your vagina, uterus and reproductive organs but also allegedly balances hormones, and reduces stress, depression, pain and cramps.
In this technique, you have to sit or squat over the container of herb-infused water for a couple of minutes. The steam of the water enters the vagina and deeply cleanses it.
Apparent Pros Of Vaginally Steaming
There are some tall claims made in the favor of vaginal steaming. It is believed to be a natural and non-medical way to improve vulvovaginal health. There is no medical backing to support the claims made but good marketing of vaginal steaming strongly claims the following pros.
1. Vaginal steaming is believed to deep clean the vagina, uterus and reproductive tracts.
2. It is believed that it balances the hormones.
3. This ancient practice is used to treat infertility.
4. It is believed it could also help in cases of haemorrhoids and infection.
5. It is believed to give relief from stress.
Cons Of Vaginal Steaming
1. The risk of burning- Vaginal steaming can cause severe burns. The temperature of steam, in general, is quite high which could burn the sensitive and delicate skin of your vagina. Many cases of severe burns have been reported when people have tried to perform vaginal steaming. It’s a dangerous technique and should be avoided, especially the DIY version at home.
2. Can target the good bacteria- There are some good bacteria present in the vagina. The steam can not differentiate between good and bad bacteria. When you perform a technique like this, chances are you could also end up killing the good bacteria present in the vagina.
3. Allergic reaction- You may not be aware of the allergies you could have inside your vagina with any substance that is used for this treatment. The skin of your vagina is very sensitive and could be allergic to the herb that is infused in the water.
4. Infection- There are chances of getting a yeast infection with vaginal steaming. The steam could give rise to the yeast infection which could cause an imbalance in the vagina.
5. pH imbalance= Vagina has a very specific pH level of around 3.8 to 4.5 which hints it is slightly acidic The steam could create an imbalance in the PH leading to a complete imbalance in the whole nature of the vagina.
Reality Of Vagina Steaming
Vaginal steaming is nothing but a gimmick which is backed by celebrities and influencers. The buzz created around this has led this to become a very famous trend. However, vaginal steaming is not supported medically.
The vagina can have the power to clean itself naturally. It doesn’t need any external aid to help the process of cleaning, so the claims that say V-steaming could deep cleanse the vagina and other reproductive organs are completely false.
Also, the fact that it is very little to no chance that the steam could penetrate your vagina, so the benefits which are made in regards to the technique are generally false.
Even if does reaches, there are high chances it could disturb the pH of the vagina and target the good bacteria present there. This could lead to infection and irritation of the skin.
How To Take Care Of The Vagina
You can do nothing and still your vagina would be happy. The vagina doesn’t need much attention
1. Only water is enough for cleaning– Use only water to clean your vagina. When it comes to the external genitalia, you have to keep them as much clean and hygienic as possible. Use soap and mild temperature water to clean them. Strictly use the product on the outside.
2. Say no to moisturizer- Your vagina doesn’t need a moisturizer to stay hydrated.
3. Say NO to fragrance- Never apply anything fragrant anywhere near your reproductive organs.
4. Extra love during periods- Your vagina may need some extra love and attention during your periods. Make sure you are changing your period products as advised and following good hygiene during the periods.
5. Comfortable underwear- Chose underwear that is not too tight and made up with breathable fabric. In summers, the fabric shouldn’t be causing too much sweat.
Not everything that is labelled as natural is worth it. Important research and expertise advice is very important for trends like these otherwise they could cause more harm than good. Vaginal steaming is something that could be completely skipped and trust me, you won’t miss out on anything. It’s always health and safety before any trend.
We don’t encourage these trends and strongly advise people not to follow the herd.